Saturday, June 20, 2009

Strengthen Your Strengths





So often in recovery people can only see their weaknesses and character defects and are stuck in that cycle of self-doubt and criticism and low-self esteem, judging themselves so harshly. It's extremely difficult to recover from being a victim and on top of it to then take an honest look at yourself and how you contribute to the cycle. List after list of codependency traits are read and all you see is the dark side. But there are strengths as well, and it's part of recovery to acknowledge them and to strengthen them - and not just focus on "fixing" the weaknesses or regret over mistakes. Take a look at your strengths today, make a list of them. Here are some to start with. How many more can you think of that are unique to you?

Strengths to Acknowledge and Reinforce:
I have an incredible ability to survive
I always have the ability to choose
I always have the ability to change
I have the ability to be passionate about something, no matter how deeply it’s been buried
I have the ability to love
I have the ability to learn
I have the natural ability to grow
I have the ability to go within and ask for inner/Higher assistance or answers
I have the ability to ask for help, and say thank you
I have the ability to imagine
I have the ability to positively affect my own energy
I have the ability to be creative

I have the ability to recover
I have the ability to move forward
I have the ability to let go
I have the ability to help others worse off then I
I have the ability to start over any time or as many times as I need to
I have the ability to laugh
I have the ability to create a habit and keep it going no matter what - and I can transfer that skill to healthy habits!

No comments:

Post a Comment